Electricity keeps our homes well lit and comfortable, but it can be hazardous and lead to house fires or even electrocution. That's why you shouldn't hesitate to call an electrician if you notice the following signs.
1. Circuit Breaker Tripping
It's not only annoying for a circuit breaker to trip and switch off electricity, but it's also a warning sign. The electrical wiring is set up in a series of circuits. One will power particular power points, while another circuit might power lighting. This way, the electrical demands are divided up. Each of the loops, however, has a maximum capacity. If the circuit switch trips when you turn on an extra heater, for example, this may mean that the optimum current is now exceeded. An electrician can check on the wiring structure, and determine whether demand exceeds the current supply.
2. You Live in an Old Home
If you're living in an old home that hasn't had the wiring inspected for a while, you would be wise to call an expert to check for any needed electrical repairs. The house mightn't have been set up to cope with the number and size of appliances that you're using. Additionally, regulations change over time, such as the electrical rules for wet areas like bathrooms and laundries. Checking that everything is up to current safety standards will ensure peace of mind.
3. Compromised Power Outlets
If you have multiple extension cords and power boards leading from one outlet, you might need an electrician to build in more outlets and adjust the wiring. This situation can lead to overloading and overheating the circuit, possible leading to housefires. Other danger signs to look out for include wobbly outlets that shift when you unplug cords which could indicate loose wiring. Also, if the outlet feels too hot, or you hear buzzing noises an electrician can check for any issues.
4. Burning Smells
If you notice a burning smell, this suggests that something has overheated, which can lead to fires. So unplug the device and call an expert who can assess if there's any damage and whether you need repairs.
5. Electrical Shocks
While you can get slight shocks from static while walking over carpet, if you're getting them when touching an appliance, light switch or outlet, you might have an issue with the wiring. An electrician can check whether the system is grounded correctly so that stray current flows harmlessly into the earth.